How to get to The Spanish Course

By car

From junction 223 (N-623, Renedo, Vargas, Santander, Burgos) on the A8. Then follow N-623 towards Burgos. Once you pass Puente Viesgo you will see the Aés signal. Just before the roundabout take the exit towards Los Corrales de Buelna (CA-170).

Pass a green house (on the right) and about 100 yards you will see a steep road on the left opposite a wild animals – deer sign. Take that road that goes up. After some bends and some houses (About 200 yards), you will get to an old STOP sign. In the crossroad you have two options on the right. Do not go towards the orange house. Keep straight passing in front of the white house’s balcony. Go up the road and at the end, you will see a stone house with a street name saying Barrio Cotillo. That’s our house but you will need to pass it to see the main entrance.

Rent a car

We do recommend you to hire a car if you want to make the most of your stay in Cantabria. This is also the cheapest option for travelling around.
Usually the low budget air companies offer good prices. 

By coach

ALSA is the main coach company for Santander.

From Madrid: 4:30h
From Bilbao: 1:15h
From Oviedo: 2:30h

By train

RENFE has different services to Santander.

From Madrid: Alvia 4:20h

By plane

RYANAIR has got flights to Santander from London Stansted, Edinburgh, Dublin, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Milan, Roma, Brussels, Barcelona and Madrid.

Other companies flying to Santander include IBERIA and VUELING.
You can also fly to Bilbao Airport. Non free pick up can be arranged.

If you arrive from outside the EU, for example, from the USA or Canada, you will be picked up at Madrid airport.

By ferry

BRITTANY FERRIES sail from Plymouth/Porstmouth to Santander.

Planning your travel to Spain

Before coming to Spain you should take into account the entry requirements and paperwork you need in order to travel to Spain. We also give you some recommendations to help you prepare for your journey to Cantabria.

Entry requirements and visas

At the moment, and before we know what the Brexit outcome is in April 2018, you will only need a full British passport, valid for the duration of the visit to enter mainland Spain, the Balearic and Canary Islands.
European Union, Norway and Iceland citizens do not require visas for visits whatever the length and purpose of the visit.

Holders of passports valid for the entire period of the visit, issued by Canada, Japan and the USA do not require visas for visits of under 90 days, but a special visa is required for longer stays.

All other nationals should contact the Spanish Consular authorities.

Driving licence

If you’re planning to drive in Spain, you can use your EU licence without any problems. Just make sure that your licence is up to date before you leave and that you have it with you.

For other countries you may need the International Driving Permit.

Spanish currency

In Spain, as in most other countries of the European Union, the official currency is the euro since January of 2002.

One euro has 100 cents.

There are eight different coins: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 cents, € 1 and € 2.
There are seven different notes: € 5, € 10, € 20, € 50, € 100, € 200, and € 500.

Spanish time

The peninsular territory and Balearic Islands go by the Greenwich Meridian time zone (GTM), plus 1 hour in the winter, and 2 hours in the summer. In the Canary Islands the time zone is that of the Greenwich Meridian, plus 1 hour in the summer, always one hour behind peninsular Spain.

Electric adaptors

Voltage in Spain is 220 AC, 50 Hz. Plugs are two pin. Therefore you should bring a euro travel adaptor.

Travel insurance

Travel insurance is recommended, as is personal liability insurance for any claims that may arise. Please make sure that you have personal liability insurance.

European Community nationals are insured through the state insurance fund against accident and illness. Before travelling ask for the E111 form at your local health insurance office. Non-European Community nationals should have an international health insurance policy that is valid for Spain.

Prepare for your leisure activities

For walking local paths around the cottage or practicing trekking we recommend you to bring mountain boots or your most comfortable shoes. And don’t forget your swimming costume in case you go to the swimming-pool, the spa or the beach.